Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Made It - Alphabet Gems!

Hi!

Have I mentioned recently that my Las Vegas trip was life changing and I will never miss another I Teach K! conference again?! Once or twice, right? This week's Monday Made It link up with 4th Grade Frolics was pure inspiration from my time in Sin City, and from a blogger that I've already bragged on before.



During one of Heidi's sessions, she shared with us the brilliant idea of
Alphabet Gems...

These were SO easy and cheap to make and really didn't take long at all!



What you will need:

** Clear gems (larger size with the flat bottom - at Dollar Tree)
- one package from Dollar Tree will yield one set {there are about 28 gems in a bag}

** Alphabet stickers (Target Dollar Spot is where all mine came from. You will use two identical sheets per set of gems that you make.)

** E6000 clear glue (Walmart - $3 *make sure you get clear, because they do make black and white also! I know that you can get this glue at craft stores too.)

** 4-5 Q-Tips with one tip cut off

** paper plate(s)

** dampened paper towel (keep this handy to wipe off your fingers if they get sticky or the tip of the glue if it gets gunky)


Start by squeezing a small dab of glue onto the tip of a Q-Tip (do not use the soft side - you want to use the side that you cut). Take the glue and use "painting strokes" to paint the flat side of the gem with glue, making sure to create a smooth surface without any globs. You will shortly get the hang of this. I do not recommend squeezing the glue on the paper plate and then dipping the Q-Tip in. I tried this at first and my glue started to dry too quickly. You may want to do this over a paper plate or some kind of covered surface.



Take an alphabet sticker and place it picture side down into the glue, leaving the sticky side exposed. It will adhere to the glue right away. I used my Q-tip to help get it unstuck from my fingers.



Allow the gems to dry a bit - it will not take long at all. 

Then, place a matching sticker on top of the alphabet sticker that has already been glued on, resulting in a flat and smooth gem all the way around. If you'd feel more comfortable using some Mod Podge on the bottom to "seal" in the stickers, it would be a great idea for added durability. 





At first, I tried to stick the two letter stickers together before I glued it on and I found that it worked better if I put the top sticker on after gluing the first down. I was able to line it up easier.

And that's IT! SERIOUSLY!



I super duper love love love them!!!


After making these, I wanted needed to make more. I used two other types of alphabet stickers to create different gems. All of these stickers are from the Target Dollar Spot. 

The first additional set that I made is a great matching game made from one set of stickers. The stickers had a picture of the letter along with a picture of something that starts with that letter. I simply cut these in half and put the letters on one gem and the corresponding picture on another gem. Students can sort the gems into letter and picture categories and then match them up into pairs. I may make a game board  to go with this one. How much fun is this, seriously??







The other set is just another set of alphabet letter stickers. I will say that these MUST be Mod Podged on the back because they do not line up exactly like the circle stickers I used on the first set. If I didn't seal them, it would leave stickiness exposed on the back; and with little wondrous kinder hands, that's no bueno.

I tested these on my 5-year-old niece who will be starting kindergarten this year, and she loved them!

I am thinking of the 8 million things that I can use these gems for: word building, letter matching, sight word work, stick a magnet on the back and add a whole new element!, name games, I can make numbers too!, etc.) What would you guys use these gems for?? I would love to hear your ideas!


And remember those zipper pouches ($1) with the windows that I shared in my last haul post?? Perfecto!!





This whole project cost me under $10, y'all! 
If you want a super easy and inexpensive project that will bring engagement and fun into your classroom, make alphabet gems for the next Monday Made It!!!

Thank you again to Heidi for this amazing idea!! Happy crafting, friends!

cheers!
Kelley









9 comments:

  1. Too cute! I love the glittery ones but my FAVORITE are the ones you made with the alphabet pictures! I have a couple sheets of those stickers so now I want to make that, too! Thanks for sharing...I found you on Monday Made It!
    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! These are the cutest! Thank you so much for sharing! I saw Heidi speak a couple of years ago!! She is great!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I love these! I have seen them bit never realized how simple they were! Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to make some!
    http://bakingcraftingteaching.blogspot.com/2014/07/monday-made-it-for-home.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPER cute!! Gotta do this for sure! Thanks for sharing!

    Heather
    The Land of I Can

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used the E600 for China teacups in the yard, but not to glue alphabet on ceramic rocks. I will have to try this next. I will try to pin on our August board. Your newest followers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely wanna try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely going to make some of these so the kiddos have some variety. Currently I use the same zippered pouches, but with magnetic letters or letter tiles. My kids are 2nd graders so I usually slide a word family written on index cards in as well for the kids to make words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing how to make them step by step with great pictures. I need to make some for my kiddos!
    www.pocketofpreschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete